Essays are important. It is in your essays that you are able to explain yourself. All the time you spent thinking about why you want to attend Med School and why you feel ready to do this now will pay off in the essays.
Manhattan Elite Prep's admissions consulting team can offer you expert advice on essays and the med school application process.
We recommend the following method of tackling your essay:
1. Match yourself to the school.
2. Determine what the question is asking.
3. Consider how to answer the question: Brainstorm.
4. Organize. Select the aspects of yourself to emphasize and back them up with examples / stories / anecdotes from your experience. Put this information into an outline format that you find comfortable.
5. Write the essay, paying attention to format.
6. Make revisions.
7. Have someone read it over.
The guidelines around which we suggest engaging in the essay writing process are the following:
- Convince your reader
- Distinguish yourself
- Demonstrate sincerity
Write in a fashion that keeps the reader's attention. To do this we suggest the following:
(1) Select different and unique, but honest experiences. You may want to expand upon an experience to make it seem more unique. Try to select those experiences that make you a unique candidate.
(2) Convey your experience honestly. The admissions committee will notice the difference between extreme embellishment and sincerity and depth.
(3) It is in your writing that you have the opportunity to demonstrate your personality. One important way of doing this is through your style. Within your essays you want to continue to keep the reader's attention. Try to use the 1st person singular, use "I" and avoid "we". Avoid using the passive voice as well as 'to be' verbs.
Medical School Application Specific
- Why Medical School?
- Visit to campus
- What steps have you taken to learn about our school and program?
- Fit with school/program/class
- What can you contribute to the class?
- How have you strengthened your application?
Life Experiences - General
- Event/s that influenced you
- Life experience that has shaped you
- A person/event/experience that has shaped your life
- Culture shock
- Club/community event
- Academic experience
- Practical experience vs. theory
- Internal experience
Career - General
- Career experience
- Current position
- Short-term career goals
- Career vision
- Alternatives to you career goals
- Additional information you would like admissions officers to know about
- I wish I was asked...
- If you could change one thing you've done what would it be?
- Imagine a life entirely different than yours, what would it be?
- What would you ask the president?
- Compose your campaign speech
Life Experiences - Challenges
- A mistake you've made
- Describe a failure
- A risk you have taken
- Challenging experience/s (most difficult time in your life)
- A time when you were frustrated or disappointed
- A part of a team (failure)
- Made a decision with partial information
- Professional challenge
- Experiences during which you went beyond the established
Career - Leadership & Teamwork
- Innovation & creativity
- Inspirational leader
- Leadership and ethics
- Leadership and team skills
- Leadership experience
- Left an impact
- Convincing others
- Motivating others
- A part of a team
- A time when you developed a team
- Dedicated Pack - Includes Application Strategy, Essay Review, Resume Review & Mock Interview
- Elite Pack - Prompt, 7-day access to educational consultant, Application Strategy, Essay Review, Resume Review, Unlimited Mock Interview
- Essay Review - Options include Single Essay (up to 800 words), Mini Pack (Single Essay + Resume Review) and Essay Review for all essays from one or more schools
- Application Strategy - 2 hour minimum consultation with our education experts to map out application process
- Mock Interview - 2 hour minimum preparation with our education expert to prepare for upcoming interview with admissions office
- Case Interview - 2 hour minimum preparation with our expert to prepare for upcoming consulting case or job interview
- Rejection Analysis - 2 hour minimum consultation with our education expert to evaluate weaknesses in rejected applications and plan next steps
- Waitlist Strategy - 2 hour minimum consultation with our education expert to evaluate weaknesses in a waitlisted application, and make recommendations for interim period
- Scholarship Application Review - Our consultants will identify specific scholarships to apply for, work with you to identify strengths that correlate with the stated objectives of the scholarship and review the applications to ensure your chance of receiving the scholarship is as high as possible
Our highly effective Admissions Consultants have the expertise to help you get accepted to the school of your top choice!
"For my Admissions Consulting service, my consultant provided his expertise on editing and structural arrangement of ideas and helped me product finished final products. I received admissions from both my dream schools which are top tier schools. Today, as I decide to join one of them. I cannot thank Craig enough for his services. He is very experienced and uses his experience to guide user on the right track as far as the flow of the essay is concerned. Well, this is besides the excellent editing skills he has. Thanks Manhattan Elite Prep!"
Eric (5 out of 5 Rating on Google+)