Essays are important. It is in your essays that you are able to explain yourself. All the time you spent thinking about why you want to attend Business school and why you feel ready to do this now will pay off in the essays.
Manhattan Elite Prep's MBA admissions consulting team can offer you expert advice on essays and the business school application process.
We recommend the following method of tackling your essay:
- Match yourself to the school.
- Determine what the question is asking.
- Consider how to answer the question: Brainstorm.
- Organize. Select the aspects of yourself to emphasize and back them up with examples / stories / anecdotes from your experience. Put this information into an outline format that you find comfortable
- Write the essay, paying attention to format
- Revise your essay
- Proofread and ask others to do the same
The guidelines around which we suggest engaging in the essay writing process are the following:
- Convince your reader
- Distinguish yourself
- Demonstrate sincerity
- Write in a fashion that keeps the reader's attention
To do this we suggest the following:
- Select different and unique, but honest experiences. You may want to expand upon an experience to make it seem more unique. Try to select those experiences that make you a unique candidate.
- Convey your experience honestly. The admissions committee will notice the difference between extreme embellishment and sincerity and depth.
- It is in your writing that you have the opportunity to demonstrate your personality. One important way of doing this is through your style. Within your essays you want to continue to keep the reader's attention. Try to use the 1st person singular, use "I" and avoid "we". Avoid using the passive voice as well as 'to be' verbs.
In an admissions application, the essay is an opportunity to distinguish yourself as a unique candidate and present your own voice to an admissions board. An effective essay will convince the reader of your worth and potential, while a poorly-crafted essay could be the one thing standing between you and acceptance.
Anyone can review an essay and correct it for grammar, syntax, and usage. Our admissions consultants tailor their work to each individual and their background, crafting the perfect essay for each school you apply to. They specialize in making sure that your essay presents you as a well-rounded individual while creating a tone that resonates with whomever should read it. We offer services from hourly assistance for writer's block and brainstorming sessions, to comprehensive essay reviews that offer step-by-step advice to maximize your essay's promise. Work with Manhattan Elite Prep and Get Into Your Dream School.
An admissions resume is much different from the one you use for a job. Your admissions officer prioritizes skill-sets and experiences differently than a potential employer might, which makes it paramount that you present yourself vis-a-vis your resume accordingly. Our consultants have seen hundreds of resumes and know the stylistic and reformatting nuances that will make yours stand out, ultimately setting you apart from the field. Work with them to ensure that your resume complements your essay and application seamlessly.
MBA (B-School) Application - Essay Themes, Topics & Questions
What is Special About You?
- Introduce yourself
- Describe yourself
- Most significant accomplishment/s
- What are you most passionate about?
- What matters most to you?
- What do others admire about you?
- What figure do you most admire?
- A surprising fact about you
- Personal development
Career - General
- Career experience
- Current position
- Short-term career goals
- Career vision
- Alternatives to you career goals
- Additional information you would like admissions officers to know about
Career - Leadership & Teamwork
- Innovation & creativity
- Inspirational leader
- Leadership and ethics
- Leadership and team skills
- Leadership experience
- Left an impact
- Convincing others
- Motivating others
- A part of a team
- A time when you developed a team
Life Experiences - General
- Event/s that influenced you
- Life experience that has shaped you
- A person/event/experience that has shaped your life
- Culture shock
- Club/community event
- Academic experience
- Practical experience vs. theory
- Internal experience
Life Experiences - Challenges
- A mistake you've made
- Describe a failure
- A risk you have taken
- Challenging experience/s (most difficult time in your life)
- A time when you were frustrated or disappointed
- A part of a team (failure)
- Made a decision with partial information
- Professional challenge
- Experiences during which you went beyond the established
School and MBA Application Specific
- Why MBA?
- Visit to campus
- What steps have you taken to learn about our school and program?
- Fit with school/program/class
- What can you contribute to the class?
- How have you strengthened your application?
- I wish I was asked...
- If you could change one thing you've done what would it be?
- Imagine a life entirely different than yours, what would it be?
- What would you ask the president?
- Compose your campaign speech
- Dedicated Pack - Includes Application Strategy, Essay Review, Resume Review & Mock Interview
- Elite Pack - Prompt, 7-day access to educational consultant, Application Strategy, Essay Review, Resume Review, Unlimited Mock Interview
- Essay Review - Options include Single Essay (up to 800 words), Mini Pack (Single Essay + Resume Review) and Essay Review for all essays from one or more schools
- Application Strategy - 2 hour minimum consultation with our education experts to map out application process
- Mock Interview - 2 hour minimum preparation with our education expert to prepare for upcoming interview with admissions office
- Case Interview - 2 hour minimum preparation with our expert to prepare for upcoming consulting case or job interview
- Rejection Analysis - 2 hour minimum consultation with our education expert to evaluate weaknesses in rejected applications and plan next steps
- Waitlist Strategy - 2 hour minimum consultation with our education expert to evaluate weaknesses in a waitlisted application, and make recommendations for interim period
- Scholarship Application Review - Our consultants will identify specific scholarships to apply for, work with you to identify strengths that correlate with the stated objectives of the scholarship and review the applications to ensure your chance of receiving the scholarship is as high as possible
Our highly effective Admissions Consultants have the expertise to help you get accepted to the school of your top choice!
"For my Admissions Consulting service, my consultant provided his expertise on editing and structural arrangement of ideas and helped me product finished final products. I received admissions from both my dream schools which are top tier schools. Today, as I decide to join one of them. I cannot thank Craig enough for his services. He is very experienced and uses his experience to guide user on the right track as far as the flow of the essay is concerned. Well, this is besides the excellent editing skills he has. Thanks Manhattan Elite Prep!"
Eric (5 out of 5 Rating on Google+)
For my admission essays, my consultant provided his expertise on editing and structural arrangement of ideas and helped me product finished final products. I received admissions from both my dream schools which are top tier schools. Today, as I decide to join one of them. I cannot thank Craig enough for his services. He is very experienced and uses his experience to guide user on the right track as far as the flow of the essay is concerned. Well, this is besides the excellent editing skills he has. Thanks Craig! -Eric
To register or for more information please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.For more recent admissions success stories, please visit Student Admissions Testimonial page.
||1 Essay, 800 Words or Less
||Resume & Essay (800 Words or Less) or 2 Essays of 250 Words Each)
||All Essays & Resume for 1 School
||All Essays & Resume for 2 Schools
|Grammar & Style Review
|Advice on Theme & Content
|Exchanges* Per Essay
|Cost for Additional School
|Cost for additional 800 words in same essay
*Three Exchanges include either phone calls, email exchanges or a combination; **3 day rush + $75; Weekend Rush +$100