Essays are important. It is in your essays that you are able to explain yourself. All the time you spent thinking about why you want to attend graduate school and why you feel ready to do this now will pay off in the essays.
Manhattan Elite Prep's admissions consulting team can offer you expert advice on essays and the graduate school application process.
We recommend the following method of tackling your essay:
1. Match yourself to the school.
2. Determine what the question is asking.
3. Consider how to answer the question: Brainstorm.
4. Organize. Select the aspects of yourself to emphasize and back them up with examples / stories / anecdotes from your experience. Put this information into an outline format that you find comfortable.
5. Write the essay, paying attention to format.
6. Make revisions.
7. Have someone read it over.
The guidelines around which we suggest engaging in the essay writing process are the following:
Write in a fashion that keeps the reader's attention. To do this we suggest the following:
(1) Select different and unique, but honest experiences. You may want to expand upon an experience to make it seem more unique. Try to select those experiences that make you a unique candidate.
(2) Convey your experience honestly. The admissions committee will notice the difference between extreme embellishment and sincerity and depth.
(3) It is in your writing that you have the opportunity to demonstrate your personality. One important way of doing this is through your style. Within your essays you want to continue to keep the reader's attention. Try to use the 1st person singular, use "I" and avoid "we". Avoid using the passive voice as well as 'to be' verbs.
In an admissions application, the essay is an opportunity to distinguish yourself as a unique candidate and present your own voice to an admissions board. An effective essay will convince the reader of your worth and potential, while a poorly-crafted essay could be the one thing standing between you and acceptance.
Anyone can review an essay and correct it for grammar, syntax, and usage. Our admissions consultants tailor their work to each individual and their background, crafting the perfect essay for each school you apply to. They specialize in making sure that your essay presents you as a well-rounded individual while creating a tone that resonates with whomever should read it. We offer services from hourly assistance for writer's block and brainstorming sessions, to comprehensive essay reviews that offer step-by-step advice to maximize your essay's promise. Work with Manhattan Elite Prep and Get Into Your Dream School.
An admissions resume is much different from the one you use for a job. Your admissions officer prioritizes skill-sets and experiences differently than a potential employer might, which makes it paramount that you present yourself vis-a-vis your resume accordingly. Our consultants have seen hundreds of resumes and know the stylistic and reformatting nuances that will make yours stand out, ultimately setting you apart from the field. Work with them to ensure that your resume complements your essay and application seamlessly.
What is Special About You?
Career - General
Career - Leadership & Teamwork
Life Experiences - General
Life Experiences - Challenges
Graduate School Application Specific
Our highly effective Admissions Consultants have the expertise to help you get accepted to the school of your top choice!
"For my Admissions Consulting service, my consultant provided his expertise on editing and structural arrangement of ideas and helped me product finished final products. I received admissions from both my dream schools which are top tier schools. Today, as I decide to join one of them. I cannot thank Craig enough for his services. He is very experienced and uses his experience to guide user on the right track as far as the flow of the essay is concerned. Well, this is besides the excellent editing skills he has. Thanks Manhattan Elite Prep!" Eric (5 out of 5 Rating on Google+)
"My experience with Tom was extremely positive, and I ended up getting accepted to all three schools that I applied to (with scholarship/fellowship offers to Minnesota and Boston College). I would highly recommend using Tom’s services to anyone, as he seems to have a strong passion for Admissions Consulting. Tom helped ease my nerves about the Admissions process, and ended up being a crucial asset for my application process. Also, I like that he is very upfront and honest when dealing with students (at least in my experience with him). I feel that Tom can help with applications to pretty much any type of graduate program, he seems to generally know what any kind of program would want to see in a candidate."